Tuesday, April 12, 2011

BECOMING AN AMBASSADOR... IT'S HARD WORK!

Hi everyone!!


This week has been very exciting! I made lots of new friends thanks to Patrick (the Pit Bull from Newark, NJ), and the Philadelphia Animal Welfare Examiner.com posted an article all about me! 


A lot of my new friends have been asking me and my mommy how I got involved in the community.. they want to know how they can get involved, too!  I just got home from my weekly obedience class, and I can tell you - it's a lot of work! But it's fun, and it's worth it! (It's pretty neat-o when Mommy and Daddy tell me how proud they are of me!)


You already know that I was abandoned at an animal shelter last year.  As soon as the staff opened the shelter that day and found me sitting there, they started socializing me.  When Mommy and Daddy started fostering me, they continued socializing me - which was one of the most important aspects of my training!  Basically, Mommy and Daddy made sure that I met EVERYONE!! Big people, little people, cats, dogs, roosters, chickens, men, women.... I met everyone!  Mommy and Daddy even took me to PetExpo!!


If you want to get involved in the community, meet everyone you can! It helps you as a doggie, but it also lets people see what a good boy (or girl) you are!


Because the shelter where I came from does a community Humane Education Outreach program, I was pretty lucky! My Aunt Elaine works at the shelter, and she asked Mommy if I could go to schools with her, because I was such a good boy.  Mommy also asks the shelter if they need me to attend events with them to get people interested in the shelter.  


The next step is my formal training.  I go to a basic obedience class every week. And then Mommy makes me practice every night for an hour.  There are 8 - 9 other dogs in my class, and it helps me to focus by practicing with so many other doggies around.  I love going to class! It's fun to learn new things! And my friend Oreo sits next to me and sings!


I am going to these classes so that I can pass my AKC Canine Good Citizen test in the fall.  Mommy found me a link about the program.  It says ".. CGC program started in 1989... it is designed to reward dogs who have good manners at home and in the community. The Canine Good Citizen Program is a two-part program that stresses responsible pet ownership for owners and basic good manners for dogs. All dogs who pass the 10-step CGC test may receive a certificate from the American Kennel Club."  (Check out AKC.ORG)


Most groups that you will work with will want you to be CGC certified, so it's very important.  Mommy says that after I pass that test I will have to take a therapy dog test, too.... but that won't be until towards the end of the year!


Hope that helps a little! If you have more questions, just ask me!! Now I am going to sleep! I'm tired from my class!
Wet Kisses!
Frankie



No comments:

Post a Comment